TUESDAY, APRIL 4TH
7pm – 9pm
Hampden Academy Performing Arts Center
I hope by now most of you are aware that next Tuesday 4/4 at 7pm in the Hampden Academy Performing Arts Center we will all have the opportunity to listen to youth sports speaker Bob Bigelow. This is a free event funded by Bronco Little League, Bronco Travel Basketball, Bronco Soccer, Hampden Recreation, and RSU 22. This event is intended for coaches and parents. I encourage ALL Bronco coaches to attend and use this as a personal development tool. Below is a brief description of Bob along with an event flyer. Please feel free to forward to any organizations you may be involved with outside our community. All will be welcome.
Bob was a standout at University of Pennsylvania under Hall of fame Coach Chuck Daly, his talent brought him to play for the NBA’s Kansas City Kings, Boston Celtics and the SanDiego Clippers. Since that time, he has conducted hundreds of talks and hosted thousands of clinics around the country to improve how coaches coach kids, and to develop greater skilled young athletes. Bob co-authored the water shed book, Just Let the Kids Play.
Some of Bobs points will be:
- Meeting the needs of ALL children in youth sports
- Recognizing the cost of elite travel teams
- Avoiding practices that discourage late-blooming athletes
- Adults not competing with one another through our children
- Ensuring coaches and administrators are qualified and trained work effectively with kids
- And addressing other critical needs in youth sports
Some of Bobs’ Presentations to Large Organizations
- Instituto San Robert in Monterrey , Mexico
- Featured Speaker at Tennis Australia’s Junior Coaches Conference
- Keynote Speaker at New Zealand Government’s Sport and Recreation Dept’s “Connecting Coaches” Conference
- Soccer Association for Youth (SAY) AGM
- American Youth Soccer Organization(AYSO), Section Meeting
- The center for Sports Parents, Rhode Island
- USA Hockey Regional Conferences
- World Wide Air Force Base Youth Sports Directors
- USYSA State Association Conferences
- Various United States Tennis Ass. Regional and National Conferences
JUST LET THE KIDS PLAY…
This 300+ page book was written to help adults—both coaches and non-coaching parents— more smoothly navigate the potential dilemmas and challenges that await them when they sign up their children for all these different sports.
There are many solutions offered; and candor/common sense also….just like the talk…
The cost for one book is $10; two books for $15, and three books for $20…
YOUTH SPORTS: STILL FAILING OUR KIDS….
This 100 page e-book is available on several electronic “platforms”, such as Amazon.com…the cost of downloading on line is about $2.99.
For those(like me) who do not read books on mobile devices, I will have several “hard cover” copies…
Like “Just Let the Kids Play”, the copies I bring will cost the same…one for $10, two for $15, and three for $20..
This e-book hardly spends any time on the “problems” of youth sports. It is very solution and “structure-changing” oriented. It was written in 2016.
YOUTH BASKETBALL COACHING DVD’s
For those in attendance who coach youth basketball, these three(3) DVD’s are co-produced with www.breakthroughbasketball.com , a well-regarded, Midwestern basketball products website… please visit their website for much more detail about the 7+ hours of content in these three DVD’s….
Their titles are identified by “school grade”…but many of the activities shown on the DVD’s I’ve been using to train high school and college players for decades…I demonstrated and taught several of these activities at the old Hampden Academy gym when I conducted a clinic there this past November.
The prices are a substantial discount off the ones you’ll see on the “breakthrough” website…
DVD #1….Fundamentals for 3rd to 6th graders….85 minutes…..$10
DVD #2…Enhanced Fundamentals for 3rd to 6th graders….185 minutes….$20
DVD #3…Fundamentals for 7th/8th graders(Middle School)….185 minutes….$20
If buyer purchases all three, total will be $40….